Monday, February 9, 2009

To Commute or Not To Commute

We all know that commuting is a BIG PAIN and it doesnt appear that the commuting problem is getting better. There are now "Pay-To-Park" meters all along Cross Campus Drive. Why should you "Pay-To-Park" when you already paid $275 for a parking permit!? Most commuters dont complain because they know there is no way to fix the commuting and parking problem at Towosn.

I found a letter to the editor in The Towerlight about a commuter's frustration with Towson's parking. Here's an excerpt from the letter: "On Tuesdays and Thursdays, my first class begins at 12:30 p.m. I usually wake up at around 10 a.m., get ready and leave at around 10:30. It takes about 10 mins. to get to any of the parking garages from my Timonium. Today I spent almost half an hour in each of the garages hoping to get lucky; nothing. I remember that Lot 24 is right next to the Glen Garage so I decided to give that a try.....I park and go grab a quick lunch and head off to class. After my classes I return to find a ticket on my car....I obviously wasn't taking up anyone's space, so why do I have to pay $75 for desparately trying to get to class on time?"

I definitely agree with this person's complaint. Last semester I had an 11 a.m. and I didn't even try to look for parking spaces in any of the garages. Instead, I just drove on over to the Towson Center. I refused to waste time or gas. I dont see why there is a problem with students parking in Faculty and Staff lots. There are OBVIOUSLY MORE STUDENTS THAN FACULTY so what's the big deal? If you are a commuter and feel the same way as this commuter did then you can go to http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/tupark and sign the online petition. You can read this and more letters from frustrated commuters at www.thetowerlight.com

2 comments:

BEW22 said...

Hey Amber,
I really enjoyed reading your blog post and feel you picked a great topic considering that its a HUGE deal on Towson's campus. I liked the quote that you found from the Towson student and believe she gives an inside look to what a daily commute is like at Towson. Great Job!

Rozalyn said...

I like the topic that you discussed in your blog. Every commuter on campus can relate.